Re: Seat Refurbishing

Just my .02--

I've done re-upholstery work, though not for auto seats.  But I
can tell you, if you decide to do it yourself, you're looking at
an all-day to an all-weekend job.  Plus, you'd need a special
sewing machine to stitch together leather (or vinyl) if you
weren't going to use cloth.  You have to get a kick out of
sweating the details.  Save the old pieces to use as cutting
patterns.  Sometimes you can find deals on leather or vinyl
upholstery fabric at discount fabric stores, but usually it'll
cost between $10 and $50 per yard.  I would estimate you'd need at
least 3 yards per seat, but I like to guess generously, you'd need
to measure the seat for more accurate yardage.

There are specialty guys (and the trick is finding a good one) who
do restorative auto upholstery--meaning they'll cut and piece new
leather to look exactly like the original.  If you don't care
about it looking original, it may save you money.  My dad had a
bucket seat re-done a few years ago (in leather) and I believe it
cost him about $250.

HTH,

Jennifer