1981 Scirocco S travails

Some of you know that I recently purchased a Cirrus Gray 1981 Scirocco S. The car had been sitting for several years.

Last week I posted about my problems with the gas tank.

Armed with additional info from the list, I returned to NC yesterday to fix the gas strangulation. I removed the hose which leads to the fuel pump. A little fuel trickled from the opening in the tank. Ah . . . my theory is correct. I pop open the fuel level sender thingy under the rear seat. I pull out the float. There's the fuel pickup filter! How do I get it out? The Bently does not cover this. To make it fun, VW did not put it directly under the hole, but a few inches toward the drivers side (@%#!^#!). The filter has a little hole in a tab on the top of it. Where's my hook? I don't have a hook! (@%#!^#!)
I use an allen wrench on the end of my vice grips. I put the "dog leg" portion through the hole. Pull like hell. Pop! The vice grip/allen wrench came flying out. Where's the filter? It fell down to one side - in the tank. No biggie, I fish it out with some wire.

The filter looks OK. ???? I look at fuel tank outlet - still trickling. I take some wire (stiff steel baling wire) and run it into the fuel pickup pipe. Something blocking the passage. I use pliers to push in further. Flow begins to increase. I move the wire around repeatedly - some crap (I don't know what) comes out. Flowing well!

Excited, I put the fuel pickup filter back in and close up the tank, including the fuel pump lead.

I try to start - it starts right up! Then conks out. The fuel distributors sounds like it is crying :(

Next trip (I live in MD) - swap fuel distributor from my 1982 Scirocco - if this does not work, it's tow, tow ,tow . . .

Just when I think I've seen every part of a MK1 . . .

Am I glad I bought it? Yes! I knew there would be problems (but the price is right and no rust!!)

Anyway, I thought it was my turn to bore you . . .

Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S
1982 Scirocco
1987 Golf GT