Re: radiator questions

>I've got an 82 8V without an expansion tank.  How big of a pain do you
>think it would be to set it up w/ one?  I went to the junkyard last
>weekend and saw several jetta and golf systems w/ the tanks.  It looked
>like the plumbing was different leading from the tank to the water pump
>to accomodate the tank.  I guess I could add these hoses/pipes, right?
>Does the expansion tank help with cooling, or is it just a convenience
>design?  Thanks.
>Jeff 82 8V

I'm pretty sure that you can retrofit the tank by using one of
the radiator caps with the tank 't' fitting built into it...came
with some diesels maybe?  Shouldn't be hard to come by, and I assume
that your car has the metal flanges to mount the tank on the drivers
side strut tower...?  After getting/mounting the tank, and the special
cap, all you have to do is run a hose between the two.

==Brett