Re: MK1 GTI does it weigh less than a MK2 Scirocco?

At 04:34 PM 6/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
I'm going to be getting a MK1 GTI with a 6pt roll cage for free!  Can you
believe that?
Anyway i'm probably going to autocross it but i have a question.  Is the GTI
lighter, better weight balance, etc..

Where do I get one :) ??  What class are you planning on?
For auto-xing, scrap the cage.  Save as MUCH weight as possible
in your class.  You can't race stock with a cage.  But if you race DSP
you will find that a mk1 rabbit with the 1.8 medium compression,
big valve, hydro head is the best LEGAL way to go, for weight,
balance and visibility.  However I can say safely (having looked and built
a few) that several of the top 10 gtis in the nation run illegal
engines.  Your region may vary.   Popular are group-a head gaskets, tricky
IT-style inserts for bushings and engine mounts, weird lower engine mounts,
and of course massive head work.

  I've found over the last few years that VERY VERY few
WELL set up mk2 S's exist.   Touring car racer Randy Pobst's old
mk1 turned mk2 (sold, then wrecked), Al Stamper's Mk2 with the
drag strip ignition and coil-overs, and a certain NY punk with
a 200hp 16v.   A1 GTIs dominate the nationals, for VWs anyway,
in their class.  However they haven't been competitive in their
class for a LONG LONG time.  X1/9s and RX3s eating all the trophies
for some time now.  As I recall RX3s FINALLY moved to csp
(long overdue) but I don't think X1/9s did.  Maybe there'll be a VW
trophy this year.

Ed