Re: 16v exhaust valves

Doolbnroht@aol.com wrote:

> but here is the question. tonight i read that the 16v exhaust valves are sodium
> filled and have special discarding instructions (don't belive me? read it
> yourself!).

Yeah, don't believe the manual instructions about immersing them in kerosene.
What you really want to do is open them up and throw them in your nearest
swimming pool! Just make sure that you do it on July 4th so that you don't take
anyone off guard. :^)

> but anyway i wanted a good explaniation as to why they are filled with sodium.
> hope you all can help me.

The sodium filler is there to absorb heat. I don't know how explain this on an
engineering-level. Basically, though, it keeps the valve from warping from the
heat and reduces the engine's tendency to pre-detonate. I believe that the
Corrado G60 is the only 8v motor with these valves. Anyone know if the TDI cars
have'm too?
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut