No Subject

OK, Question for everyone. I need to know what exactly permits the use of
the beloved GTI tag  to be placed on, or to be added to the name of, a
Scirocco MK1?  Are there actually rules, did they ever make a GTI
Scirocco's,  or do people just do it and look like assholes?  My beloved 83
GTI Rabbit died in a horrible car accident, well one car and a telephone
pole.  I think of my Scirocco as a kind of a rebirth of my Rabbit, and
would like it to reach GTI status if possible.

T.J. Young
1981 Scirocco1 S (GTI I guess???)