lots of fuel system questions

hey guys,

can anyone tell me what exactly the charcoal canister does?

what's the expansion tank for? is it just so that the fuel doesn't
overflow if it expands when changing temperature?

... the intake manifold applies vacuum to the charcoal canister which
applies vacuum to the expansion tank which applies vacuum to the main
fuel tank (through the gravity valve) .. so the fuel tank is getting
it's fumes sucked out by this system, and the gas is getting pumped out
by the fuel pumps. Doesn't the vacuum from the charcoal canister make it
harder for the fuel pump to do their thing or is the gas cap supposed to
be vented? Is the "pssssshh" sound when removing the gas cap a good
thing or a sign that something is wrong?

where can i find a stainless steel gas tank filler neck?

what size are the fuel lines (supply and return)? .. i'm going to
install stainless steel lines and braided rubber hoses with aluminum
aircraft fittings.

Has anyone installed a small inline fuel filter between the transfer
pump and the main fuel pump? would there be a disadvantage to doing
this? I was thinking of putting a clear plastic filter so that i could
see the state of the fuel going into the system.

I'm looking for an electric fuel pressure sender, i asked VDO and they
said that their pressure senders aren't recommended for gasoline fuel.
The Autometer gauge/sender is 300$cdn!!! I don't want to use a
mechanical one since i want the gauge inside the car.

thanks,

-nigel.
86 Scirocco
85 Scirocco