Re: Shaved Head response/question

Someone asked about how much they can shave off their already shaved
head.  The answer is basically, "you can take off as much as you
want."  BUT you will wind up with an interference motor, meaning that
the valves will extend in to the area of piston travel.  This is not
a problem until the timing belt breaks, at which point your 8V will
act like one of those 16V engines, bending your valves and
possibly wrecking your head.

We have done some extreme head shaving on some project street cars
with great success.  But we do have one problem which no one on this
list seems to have an answer.  Let me explain....

When you shave the head, it will change the cam placement on the
timing belt, actually retarding the head timing.  The expensive fix
is to buy an adjustable cam sprocket.  SOMEONE makes an offset
keyway, but I have no idea where I can buy them.  IF ANYONE KNOWS
WHERE I CAN GET OFFSET CAM KEYWAYS, please let me know.
These will allow you to advance the sprocket to compensate for the
timing difference without having that huge adjustable cam sprocket.

Ken Buck
1999 Philadelphia Region SCCA RE
78 DSP VW Scirocco- regional champ 94, 96, 97, 98
85 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car #12
84 VW Scirocco daily driver 217,000 miles and still screaming
66 Olds F-85, second owner, second set of tires.