Re: TOP SPEED Survey (130+ MPH)

Accroding to gear ratio, if you could redline a 16v to 7200 on a standard
16v tranny (I forget...is that a 9A?), you'd do about 140, right? I've
only hit the upper 120's. I had a bit of steam left, but definitely
wouldn't have made it too much faster. That was a stock 16v with 192k on
it, BTW.

I think it'd be tough to get a Roc to go much faster. Especially if
Jason says he had to draft someone to go over 130, and if he's talking
about his 2.0l that is currently in the Sciretta, it has
a lot more Chutzpah than my Scirocco! It would take a
lot of extra ponies just to have enough power to redline in 5th gear, and
after that point, I'd start worrying about the tranny. Not to mention that
your tires would start to have problems (unless they were z-rated).
Anything is possible, but we're probably talking 200+ HP, a bulletproof
tranny with tall gears, some serious rubber, and probably some body work
to keep some downforce at that speed. Mega $$$.

Neal

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 the-mad-bastard@home.com wrote:

> i've managed to get my car to the 130mph mark once so far.  i was
> drafting behind one guy at about 120, then a buddy of mine drafted me,
> passed me, and when he beside the guy in front of me, i quickly pulled
> out behind him and drafted him until he passed the guy i was drafting
> first.  then the second guy i was drafting, pulled out of my way, and i
> used that momentum, plus the fact that i was on a slight downward slope,
> and i kept pulling until about 215km/h (133mph).  then we had to hit the
> brakes HARD to avoid the cars in front of us :)  we had lots of room
> still, so who knows if i might've been able to get a little more out of
> it...the tires at the time were 195-45-15, and the tranny was (i think)
> either a 4K, 2Y, or 9A, and the motor was revving around 6850-7000 in
> fifth.
>
> 	without a draft, i can generally pull the car up to about 205km/h
> (124mph)....
>
> jason
> the mad bastard
>
> Peter Walsh wrote:
> >
> > Just curious,
> >
> > How many of you have had your rocs over 130 MPH, and what mods/engine do you
> > have in it.  I have only had mine to 127, and that was a while ago w/ no
> > mods. When I get new/balanced wheels, ill do a top speed run again.
> >
> > Pete

			Neal Tovsen