Re: Suspension

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 11:42:06 -0400 "Michael Friesen"
<mfriesen@sympatico.ca> writes:
>Hey.  i finally got a job that'll pay enough to fix up my car, slowly.
I'd
>really like to do the suspension first, cause I find it leans a little
too
>much on onramps.  I'm wondering which swaybars/stressbars/subframes I
>should start with, and which order I should follow.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike

There are many choices out there in swaybar makers.
Neuspeed
Eurosport
ABD
Autotech

So whatcha got? 8V 16V?
Do ya got stock swaybars?

Upgrade to a 22mm front swaybar and a 28mm rear swaybar.
Stress bars add a little more to chassis stiffness. The upper bar does
some work so get one of those. If you don't have a 16V, get the lower
stress bar. That will do the most in stopping chassis flex.
if your going to just drive the car on the street, you wont need a rear
stress bar. Save your money there. It does help a little on the autox
course and it also does a masterful job retaining the race tires when
going to and from an autox. (Keeps them from rolling into the back of the
seat!)

As far as makers go........ they're all good.
Im rather anti Autotech for 2 reasons. The front swaybar brackets are
well known to break. Im not into buying a product and then having to keep
buying pieces of it because it keeps breaking. Pointless.
The other reason is Autotech tends be treat their customers like crap. My
own recent experience is I drove up to their shop to pick up some valve
springs. (I needed them and couldn't get them anywhere else so I had to
bite the bullet and just GO.)
The guys acted like I was bugging them. Any questions I had were treated
like ive crossed the customer line, questions are not allowed or
something. I dunno. They're assholes is all I can say. Find another
vendor and be happy.

Eurosport makes some good stuff. Reasonable prices too. Neuspeed stuff is
great too. VWP is your Neuspeed source. (AS if!)

One last thing. After you do the suspension, you will definitely want to
change springs. (and possibly shocks.) It will complete the ensemble for
you! No Scirocco should be without.
:)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and