strange engine noise update!

	For anyone that has been following my ordeal with the random strange
metallic noise coming from my engine (I dont know if anyone is, i didn't
get any replies!heh :) )well, i found out what happened..	[the following
story is true-no names have been changed, although a few expletives have
been ommited ;)]

	First I called Potterman to explain the symptoms and ask for advice. He
suggested that since I have the 2-peice #3 center main bearing, and not the
"extra-strength" 6-piece bearing that it might've gotten wiped out. I could
test it by pulling in and out on the crank pully to check for play.
Especially with the throwout bearning noise that just popped up, all signs
pointed to that.

	First i put the car on jacks and drained the oil. I saw little shiny
flakes in the bottom of the drain pan. That's not good. Per Mikes
suggestion, I pulled in-and-out on the crank pulley, and sure enough, the
crank moved back and forth about 3-4mm's.. ugh, this is gonna be a loooong
weekend. Next thing I dropped the oil pan, more shiny specks mocking me in
the bottom of the pan. I pulled the #3 main bearing cap and drop the
bearing out. the clutch side of the bearing was totally wiped out. The side
of the crank had worn a shitload, and even the side of the bearing cap was
worn down. What this means is that there was an abnormal amount of side
pressure on the crankshaft.(which also destroyes the rear main seal, which
dumps oil on the clutch and destroys THAT!) A massive pressure plate or a
misadjusted clutch can do this. In my case it was the misadjusted
clutch--way too tight... What a stupid mistake!!! I'm pretty pissed, and
now I'm even more pissed cuz I brought it all on myself like an idiot. :)
Now I gotta replace the crankshaft, #3 bearing, rod bolts, flywheel bolts,
pressure plate bolts, front and rear main seals, clutch disc (maybe pp
too), and throwout bearing.
The moral is: Adjust your clutch correctly!! Just because your tranny is
grinding doesn't mean the clutch isn't engaging all the way and you need to
lessen the freeplay!

	The next 3-4 hours were spent dropping the tranny (onto my chest-ouch!)
and thats where I am now. Tommorow I get to pull the clutch, crank pully,
front/rear seal plates, and drop the crank.
All I can say is, i so glad you guys taught me so much that I can do this
myself and not pay $50/hour labour, and thank god for Potterman! :)

Kevin Fry
aka aventari
icq#21583385