Re: Exhaust Woes.....

This is, in my opinion (and I've used the official VW tool) the ONLY way
to do this:

Take a large chrome lugnut (it doesn't have to be chrome, but most of
them are, you know, like the big American ones, I think some early '80's
Hondas and stuff had 'em too - they're closed on the end, and big). Then
find a bolt that threads into it. The bolt has to be of the right length
so that when you thread it in most of the way, you can fit it inside the
C-clip (it's best if it's a tight fit and you have to kinda bang it a
little to get it in there, stretching the C-clip a little). Then you put
the whole thing in a vice so that the vice holds the bolt from coming out
the of the C-clip (you'll see what I mean when you start doing it). Then
use two wrenches to open the C-clip up by turning the lugnut off the bolt
(you'll see what I mean here about holding the bolt/lugnut into the
C-clip with the vice - the bolt will want to turn itself out of the
C-clip when you do this). Open the C-clip up until you can slip it into
where it goes and have it be a bit tight (you want it to hold itself in
place). Don't open it up to much or it will break and that is BAD. Metal
shards flying, etc. I've never had it happen but I've heard horror
stories.
Then, take a punch and bang that lugnut out of there. The bolt and lugnut
will go flying, and the C-clamp will clamp down and hold the exhaust in
place. Go find the bolt and lugnut and repeat for the other side.

I've sent a copy of this to Etrik because I think that it deserves to be
in the FAQ, if it isn't already. Or is Brett doing that now? (If you guys
need more people to work on it, I can do that kind of stuff too).

	HTH!
	-Josiah
	'84 GTI
	'87 QSW