RE: Head Bolts

I was away for the weekend, so this reply is a little late, but....

Holy shit, your car ran with the headbolts loose, just finger tight. Are
you sure you are talking about the head bolts, The ones you need a 12mm
trible square drive for? Were they all loose, and you weren't getting
any headgasket blowby? I doubt that seriously.

Were you getting any coolant leak along with your oil seepage? If the
head was loose enough to leak oil, then I would expect water to leak
right along with the oil.

Now maybe you're talking about the valve cover nuts. These can very well
be just finger tight and cause some oil seepage. These are 10mm. There
are 8 of them. They should just be tightened with a ratchet. Around 8
ft-lbs I think, but that is out of my ass.

HTH, and let me know what happens

Jonas
85 Scirocco