Re: Misc Questions

>I just got an 87 16V and came up with some questions that listers might be
>able to help out with:
>

>2. The grommet/gasket around the key cylinder in the hatch has cracked and
>fallen off from old age. Is it necessary to replace it to repair leaks? If
>so, where could I find a replacement gasket? I'm thinking if I don't get
>something before the rain comes I'll just caulk the inside around the lock
>cylinder (and hope it works)... Anyone else had this problem? If you
>removed the gasket, did it look better or worse?

One of the list parts guys could help you.  Mark at Adirondack is one and Mike
Potter(Potterman) is the other.  I've done business with Potterman, like many
on the list, and am very happy with his service, knowledge and prices.  You can
reach him at:virtualworld@earthlink.net
http://www.parts4vws.com
(714)663-2434

>3. What is involved in changing the seal around the sunroof? (the seal you
>see from outside when the sunroof is closed) Where can I get a new seal
>and how much will it cost? Mine is sagging a bit and I'm afraid it will
>leak.

I believe it just kind of snaps in.

>4. My passenger seat rocks sideways when you sit in it and go around a
>corner or something. I think maybe its just missing some bushings or
>something... where should I look?

There is a rubber pad under the front of the seat mount and one plastic peice
at the base of each leg.  Sounds like on of your leg peices is broken or
missing.  All you have to do, after you get a replacement-might as well do both
of them, is remove the trim above the rails that the seat slides in and remove
the nut at the front.  The nut is usually an allen head and nut combo at the
front of the third rail which is under the front of the seat.  You then can
slide the seat all the way back, out of the rails.  You then can remove it from
the car or leave it in place and replace the clips.  Might as well lube the
seat track then too.

>5. The car I have is missing some interior trim pieces. Is there a plastic
>piece that covers the fuse panel or are you supposed to see the fuses and
>relays from the drivers seat?

There are the lower dash covers, at least on non-AC models-not sure of ACed
cars.  These cover it up a bit.

>6. Under the hood there is a metal-cased factory relay just in front of
>the battery fastened with a special bracket and two screws. Anyone else
>have one of these? What's it for? I tried to follow the wires but they
>went into sealed factory looms. I'd pull the relay and "see whats broken"
>but im in the process of getting a new battery (one of the cells in my
>current battery died).

I believe this is the fan relay.  I have mine off the car because it is crushed
and the wires lead to the fan switch and fan.

>7. Accustomed to riding around in my friend's GTI, I was disappointed to
>see that Sciroccos lacked the "oh shit" handles found in GTIs. I was
>thinking about a transplant but now I'm wondering if there is any metal to
>drill into above the headliner in that area.

There is metal there.  Couldn't hurt to try.

>8. What is up with the funky windshield washer controls?!? Up, Down, Push,
>Pull... nothing short of turning the ignition off will stop the windshield
>wipers (!), whether it be the wipers front or the one in the rear. Could
>someone please explain this? I'm usually really quick to get used to
>different controls in different cars, but this one is really elusive.

Push is for the rear wiper.  Push it again to stop.  I hate this too and will
get a relay from one of the cars that does  afew sweeps when you push and then
stops.  Pull should be front wash with a few sweeps to clean.  Other than that
you should have inter., low and high for the front.

>9. I think my back-up light fuse/relay/bulbs might be dead. Do the back-up
>lights come on when the ignition is at "run" but the engine is off? They
>don't in my case, and I can't start the engine to see if that fixes the
>problem.

Yes they should.  But you probably have a bad switch, on the transmission.  I
have always had a problem with these myself and just stopped replacing them.

>10. I'm used to a carburated stick shift, where I clutch-started the
>engine just for fun whenever I was on a hill. I haven't tried this yet in
>my rocco, but I hear it can damage the engine or transmission. Any
>comments on this? What if I'm in the middle of a desert and my battery is
>dead? Just how bad for the engine is it? Do I need to hotwire the fuel
>pump or something?

You can do it but, it's not something I would do everyday. Naturally it isn't
good, long term, for any car.

>11. Do I need to pull the steering wheel off and/or remove part of the
>dash to take off the steering column covers?

You can't remove part of the dash; it's one peice.  It would be easier with all
of it removed though.  Steering wheel removal is a must.

>12. I just went to a locksmith and paid $20 to get new keys cut from a

>14. An ill-driven car backed into mine and slashed the black moulding
>along the side of the car (among other things, like a wheel-sized dent). I
>imagine I could get replacement moulding from a junkyard, but how should I
>re-attach it? My car is silver and I think it looks better with moulding
>than without so removing it all isn't a good solution.

Body molding/body kit adhesive.  Look for it in your local autoparts store, or
better yet body supply shop.

>16. My rear wiper makes a ton of noise compared to the front ones. Are all
>of them like this? Part of it is probably that I was running it dry. (Oh
>well, the blades are shot anyways)

Mine is/all have been quiet.  Probably that blade is shot part combined with
being dry.

>17. How hard is it to change the shift bushings? Maybe I just need to
>adjust the linkage, but its a little hard to get it into 2nd sometimes.

Very easy, generally very dirty.  There isn't really any major adjustment
unless you ripped everything out or something.  The linkage itself is non
adjustable(well the relay rods)  Grease everything too.

>20. I had the wheels off when I swapped tires and took a look at the
>brakes. It looks like the pads are glued instead of bolted on. Is there a
>trick to changing these?

No they're not glued.  The previous owner probably used a lot of anti squeal
stuff and it looks like they're glued.

>21. The car has 124k miles on it, is there any reason to switch to
>synthetic oil? I don't have any noticable oil leaks at present but I'm
>afraid if I switch the thinner oil may start to leak out of the 12 year
>old seals, but at the same time I'd like to keep the engine parts
>lubricated well. What should I do?

No.  It's a matter of preference.  You can switch or change your conventional
oil regularily.

>22. Where could I buy accessory switches that match those in the dash for
>the headlights, emergency flashers, etc? I'd like to put an oem-looking
>switch in for fog lights or a three-position (two on, one off) switch in
>for a special circuit i designed. Too bad there's only room for one :P

Potterman or a junk yard.  Yes there is one for the fogs.

>23. Can anyone recommend some good but inexpensive hood lifts? I really
>hate putting up that flimsy metal rod.

Haven't seen them for sciroccos but if you find them or make one tell us.

>24. What can be done to make the sunroof slide smoother? It takes quite a
>bit of effort to open mine and I'm thinking maybe WD-40 or grease would
>help. The last thing I want is the sunroof to jam open and get rain all
>over the place.

I've always used silicone spray.

>25. Anyone gone to the trouble of converting that horrid white headliner
>to something more attractive, say, black fuzzy stuff? Every time I look in
>the rearview mirror and see the white ceiling i feel like im in a
>cabriolet with the top up :P

Would like to know more on this too.

Phew!

John Worden
Old Town, Maine

'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
'81 Volkswagen Scirocco(Mk1) soon to be 2.0 16V.  The engine is out/
 and all electrical is pretty much done.
'69 MGB- in need of total resoration(needs some front fenders too)