From: Kathy Teulie <104372.1061@compuserve.com>
To: "Ian Overholt" <ioverholt@hotmail.com>, scirocco-l@scirocco.org,
dyliu@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: what a SHITTY day for my 87..
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:01:40 -0400

My friend Frank broke his seat frame like you did. You can use
several upper frames to replace yours. Jetta GLI 2 door  A1 and A2's will
fit.
If you can, get a Scirocco seat back.  You can even use a passenger seat
back but all the controls will be on the other side.   I've replaced upper
and
lower seat fabric before. It is best not to try to replace the upper seat
back
fabric if you are new to this stuff. Just get a good frame with matching
fabric.
The lower frame is Scirocco only! Do not try to put a Golf or Jetta lower
seat
frame in your Scirocco. You would need to be about 3 feet tall to
drive your car with out hitting your head on the roof  :  O.
Doug

Message text written by "Ian Overholt"

That's some bad news.  Replacing the door isn't that bad, but if the dent
looks easy to straighten, it could be worth fixing.  I just bought a '78
with a good dent in the driver's door and I'm going to replace the door.

On the seat issue, is the break in the upper or lower part of the seat?
The
lower part is much easier to replace.  If your fabric is worn out on the
lower part, now is the time to change it.  All the lower seat foam and
fabric are the same on the driver and passenger seat, so all you have to do

is find a junkyard car with a decent passenger seat (much easier than
finding an intact driver's seat).  Then get a driver's seat (fabric/foam
condition doesn't matter) and put the passenger seat fabric and foam on the

new driver's seat frame. Does this make sense?  I've replaced upper and
lower seat fabric before.  The upper is much harder because there are a lot

more places where the fabric is attached to the frame and there are pieces
going back and forth and around things and popping out the plastic pieces
where the headrests mount is REALLY hard.

You're in the bay area, right?  Come to the meet on Saturday.  I'll show
you
what I'm talking about.  :)

Ian Overholt
'88 16v