From: Jeff Faulkner [mailto:jeffaulk@richmond.infi.net]
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 1999 8:07 AM
To: mark hausler
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: [tech] wiring problems/questions

I just got my 82 8V back from the mechanic after a mysterious stall/no
start.  After reading previous posts, I figured ICM or something electrical.
the mechanic said fuel delivery system (relay, fuel pump or something else?)
Anyway, it runs fine now after he messed with the wiring.  I'm not sure he
actually found a problem.  Didn't charge me a whole lot, which was good.
Anyway, he claims the wiring harness needs replacing.  Anybody out there
want to comment on this scenario?  by the way, this problem, stalling after
running for about 5 min. and coming to a stop in a busy intersection,
happened about 3 months ago and then went away.  TIA
Jeff

mark hausler wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I started to rewire the short that caused the problems on Monday, but I
started to have several questions.

> I was trying to figure out which wire blew and according to my Bentley it
goes to the warm air regulator. What the hell is that? THere is no mention
to it in the book. So I figured they might mean the auxiliary air regulator.
This makes the most sense for the blown wire under the dash is Red/white and
the wires at the aux. air reg. are brown and Red/white. But somewhere down
the like wires have been respliced in that part of the engine area. So now
out of the original two wires to the Aux air reg only the brown one is used
and the old red/white is cut. the red/white from the switch now goes to the
coil. No where does my wiring diagrams show a wire going to the coil.

> So do I take the plunge and crack open the plastic cover on the main bulk
of wires to the engine and trace the blown wire? No matter where it goes? Or
do I just replace the part that got blown?? Looking how confusing this all
is and how bobo the current splices are makes me what to replace them all
but that is a big job.