dead battery update

Well, I got a new battery and all is fine.
Nothing interesting I suppose, but this is my first car, and hence my
first experience with a dead battery. Here's a couple of things I
noticed:

1. The seat-belt light (above the brake warning light by the headlight
switch) turned on for 5 seconds and then off for 15 seconds continuously
on the way home. Is it meant to do this? Built in dead-battery warning
system?

2. I noticed a dip in torque between 3-3.5K rpm. This started the day
before the battery died. Like I'd pull off and when I got to 3k it
hardly pulled at all until I got past 3500 rpm. Is this because there
was too much current flowing straight through the battery, and thus
partially "shorting out" the alternator?  like shorting out an electric
motor to brake it. makes sense to me. :)

hth

Jonas
85 Scirocco