RE: Easy mods for MkII 8v?

> Starting with the exhaust is a good step.  There are two basic options
here
> - either dump the exhaust manifold that's on your car (assuming it's the 4
> into 1 manifold that plagues so many of these cars) and get the dual spout
> manifold from an earlier water cooled VW, or get a header and be done with
> it.  For a header, I wouldn't recommend anything other than SuperSprint or
> TechTonics.  Both are big bucks, and the gains over a good manifold and
> downpipe are minimal.

I'm looking for more performance for my 8V as well; but my question is: What
does a manifold look like/what does a header look like and where do they
live in the car?  I purchased my 8V already somewhat modded and I may
already have one or both and don't know it!

> After that, cam is next.  Again, the cam on the JH engines sucked.  For
the
> budget conscious, go for a cam from an earlier 1.6 engine.  For the budget
> non-conscious, have fun and get yourself somethign wild.  I went for the
> barely-idleable 290/448 Crane cam, and I love it.  It sucks back gas like
> mad, but the engine just loves to rev now.

Yup...I'm getting sort of tired with my euro cam....I want one that actually
makes the car go fast >5000 rpm!

> Next up is the intake.  Two more options present themselves.  For the tame
> at heart, an Audi 5000 throttle body with some minor porting to the intake
> manifold works wonders.  And for the insane, try to find a single throat
> weber throttle body.  It is very on-off, but when it's on, it's pretty
wild.

I have the Neuspeed one.  How does that compare?

> After this, you can do any number of things.  Increased compression,
> porting and polishing, forced induction, nitrous, etc ... the three thigns
> above are the easiest "bolt-on" performance improvements you can make.

Time to pull out the ratchet.... ;-)

> By the way, just a personal opinion ... if you are going ot buy a cam,
> don't skimp out because you are afraid of losing your nice idle.  I've
> driven a lot of milder cams, and I'm really not convinced that the
> compramise is worth it.  My car idles at about 1200 RPM just fine, and it
> is still tractable in the city ... the low end torque (especially with an
> adjustable cam gear) is more than suitable.  And on the highway, you will
> definitely notice the difference.

Cool.....my idle isn't smooth anyways! ;-)

> As a sidenote.  I raced an RX-7 last night (fairly recent car ... one of
> those new swoopy styles?), and took him down like a Kennedy airplane.  :-)

Some Honda rice-burner wanted to race me last night (my car at least LOOKS
fast!) but I just snubbed my nose up at him with a  'race you? yeah right,
you suck!' look!

All the best,
-Norm