RE: eibachs with boge progas: any BTDT?

---Ewan Hopkins <Ewan.Hopkins@computeraid.co.uk> wrote:

> The H&Rs are too low for standard struts... they'd be fine with Bilstein
> sports or somethng similar but that's beyond my budget at the moment.

I agree that just about any good lowering spring is better with good
shocks (like Bilsteins or Konis), I do not agree that the H&R's drop the
car to low for 'standard' struts.  I think if you asked the list how low
their H&R springs dropped the car, it would be about 1 inch to 1.25-1.5
inches. This translates to about 30mm-38mm or so.

> The progas aren't stiff enough for the amount of travel my H&Rs give - they
> bottom out too easily, even with chopped bump-stops, so I'd imagine the
> turbogas shocks would be worse.

The Turbogas are a world of difference from the Progas.  It's like they aren't
even related.  Jim is running H&R's with Turbogas on his convertible with
no problems at all (before he gutted the car in preparation for an engine
transplant/repaint/body kit).  It was quite a comfortable, yet nicely
handling ride last year.

> I'll probably hang-on to the H&Rs on the
> offchance that I get some Bilsteins in the future.`

If you're H&R springs really are dropping your car 60mm, then they aren't
the exact kind of springs that we've all been using, and you're probably
right.  'Long' shaft shocks designed without much of a drop in mind
probably won't work well with the set of springs you have.  But I am still
of the mind that Turbogas shocks can handle the (not too agressive)
lowering done with the H&R springs that many of us here have installed.  The
Progas will never be appropriate for a lowered car, not matter _what_
Autotech says! :)  Hey, I got caught early also, I bought my first new
suspension from Autotech:  Hor lowering (sagging/jarring/slamming!!!) springs
with Boge Progas.  Ouch.  My H&R/Koni ride is a world of difference.

Good luck Ewan, hope you get the ride you're looking for.

later.

==Brett