Ignition Switch Problem?

Desert wind people:

I have a 1980 Scirocco that use to start-up and run perfectly. Even after
sitting awhile (on vacation) I would come back and it would start right
up. Recently,
when I got back after two weeks of vacation I tried starting my
beloved Scirocco and Nothing! Plenty of battery power, and you could smell
gas galore but it would not catch...except you could feel it sputter a
little when moving the ignition key back to its starting position.

Finally it started though...ran uncartacteristically rough..then smoothed
out. I decided to take it on a drive to blow the cobwebs out. Ran
strong...not even a skipped beat from its 1.6L then all of a sudden it cut
out like someone had turned the ignition switch off! Dead to the world!
Nothing!

Anybody want to take a gander as to what's going on? Could it be a faulty
ignition switch?

Has anyone else had this type of problem or know of anything else that may
be the problem?

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers,

David Guido