Need some help

The control assy for the AC/Heater (under the radio) on my car is broken.
 I have been putting it off for long enough, and would like to replace it.
 Also the engine I put in it does not have AC, and the car used to, if that
makes any difference.  How hard is it to replace, and do I need to get one
from a scirocco or are there similar assy's in other VW's that I could get
one from?  Are there any vacuum hoses that go to that assy?  There is one
under the dash and I can't figure out where it goes to.

T.J. Young
1981 Scirocco1 S