junk yard tales

Hey gang,

I was away for a while at the beach and finally got through the 600+ e-mails.

Well I went junking this past weekend and saw some interesting stuff. First off the ones in my area seem to be in unsavory areas, but I had no problems. It amazed me how many sciroccos I saw. Back on the east coast they are a find. Here almost a dime a dozen. Well not that good, but...  One yard had like 8 MKIIs and no MKIs. Others and more MKIs but the most was like 4. I found some nice things though. I got me a very, very clean front fender. I must say that they are a friggn' PITA to get off. That glue they use is almost as strong a a weld. I spent like 1.5 hours on Sat working on this thing and was hearded off the yard (I was the last one) I went back the next day and spend at least 2 more hours on the bastard. Thaknfully it was hot as hell out there next to the salt evopration lakes for it softened up that glue shit from hell. Bent the fender a small amound in the process, but is better than my big ass dented, rusting one now. THe car was a very clean one. Sometimes I wond!
er why

these end up in the yards. THis one had no dents and the interior was decent (for what was left).

Also at that yard was one of those two door hatchback Quantums. It was a four banger but turned 90.  Pretty funky looking.

I also scored a 100 mph spedo for a MKI !  It has over 205,000 miles on it and the gears show not signs of cracking. Crazy. Anyway I plan on renforcing them so not to stop the minute I put it to work. Do I need to change the geat ot the trans. end of the spedo cable or is the calibration the same?

I also saw a blue MKI, a 76 I think with chrome bumpers. This one was repainted and he has put a GTI badge on the front grille. Looked like it was factory placed. He also had put in a 140mph spedo and I pulled the cluster and it was a modified one from some other VW. It orginally had a gauge at the bottom and he just painted it black to cover it up. Looked bad. Now if you kept the gauge...   But the best thing about this car was that it was orginally green. A very lime metallic green. And it was factory. THe steering column support was the color and had the orginal sticker/writing on it. I tried to get the paint code but the stickes in the back were painted over several times and my gingerly scraping just tore off the stickers.  I tried.

Well hope all is well out there in Scirocco land

Cant wait for the 'rockin the bay weekend. Hey that reminds me I do have one of those G-Tech thingies. Sitting right here in my desk drawer. We could do some numbers?

mark hausler
'81 scirocco s
'94 toyo 4x4
Get your free Scirocco e-mail!!  your_name@scirocco.zzn.com