VTEC vs VW

okay, here's the story.
I was on I-5 driving up to work to Portland from Corvallis, (~85 miles)
and I was approached steadily by a rice-a-ronied DelSol had VTEC crap all
over it.  I was actually nauseous after having a look at the two big white
stripes over the roof and hood.  An aweful site to see.  Well I'm driving
a fairly tired 8v Scirocco and wanted to dust his bottom but well, I'm not
stupid enough to believe I would have acheived victory.

What is the most reliable setup I need to in order to control the next
situation.  I've got a project car (85 8v I picked up for almost nothing)
that has a running JH in it.. but its 225k and I want to replace it with
horsepower.  What do I need to put in there to rip the next rice-a-roni a
new one?  I've been bitten by the power bug and I need to have more.

for starters I know that a 16v is wayy better than an 8v for transferrence
of power in high speeds..  (I'm going to get crap for that comment)
at the least I want to put a 2.0l 16v... is that sufficient?
or should I weld the seams up and go for the all out VR6 upgrade?

comments are appreciated.

mark