HELP!! From a newbie

Well, I'm assuming that this is similar to other mailing lists, and so I'll
just jump right out there and confess that I'm a newbie at Scirocco's.  I've
had aircooled Veedubs, but this is a new beast.  A Veedub with power...wow.
Who woulda thunk it.  Anyway, I'm the proud owner of an 82 1.7L that has
recently taken sick.  So, here's my newbie question:  Apart from plugs,
points and the like, what are the other likely culprits for rough running.
The timing is correct, and the only other thing I can think of is dirty
injectors.  I've been told to steer away from much of the injector cleaners
as they can actually make it worse, but I don't know if you can crack an
injector open to clean it yourself with no problems or not.  Please render
your collective expertise.  Thanks...

DeS