Re: Inspection question

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:46:01 EDT Slavscreem@aol.com writes:
>I got a new exhaust put on my car and the guy at the place wrote a whole
list
>of things that he saw that needed fixing. Im wanting to get the car on
the
>road as soon as possible, and was wondering if any of these things could
wait
>until I had the money to fix them. And at the saem time wouldnt cause
the car
>to fail the inspection:

He's a mechanic, right? His job is to work on cars for which he gets
paid. These items could very well need attention however im always
suspicious of mechanics motives. I do all my own work. I replaced both my
inner and outter CV's. I took it to an alignment shop to get aligned
(duh) and the guy tells me I need NEW outter CV's. Its sort of like going
to the dentist. You sit there in the chair and he rattles off a long list
of big words that you NEED to have done. Its all about generating income.
I found another dentist, you should consider finding another mechanic.
(Unless you agree with his findings.)

>Converter rattling inside,

Possible bad cat. ($$$)

>Outer drive belts,

Huh? Belts dont drive. -Picking.
How do the belts look? Do they need replacing?

> water pump,

Is it leaking? Does it make noise?

>some water hoses,

Some?

>rear struts,

The rear doesnt have struts. Never did.

>left inner and outer cv boots,

Possible.

>right rack boot.

This is a common thing. Boots tear and rip all the time.

>Also he put valve adjustment and timing belt,
>both with question maks, i guess meaning he
>wasnt sure. Any info greatly appreciated, Ken

Depends. Is it an 8V or 16v?
8V's can always use a valve adjustment.

How old is the timming belt? If you dont know, replace it. Its no big
deal on an 8V motor but if its a 16V then you run the risk of valve
damage in the event of a belt breaking.

The bottom line is, ALL of these things can wait til later.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and