[tech] GTI Electricals being odd

Talking about an '84 GTI here.
Hehe, imagine that, VW electricals being odd. OK, here's what's up. I
read about 13.8 Volts when all electrical consumers are switched off. My
terminal 15 circuit behind the dash (guages) is relayed directly to the
battery. My fuel pump is on a relayed switch. (These last two just FYI, I
don't think it has anything to do with my problem). Whenever I step on
the brakes, put it in reverse, turn on the headlights, use the turn
signals, anything, it causes a HUGE dip in the voltage. If I have my
headlights on at night and I'm coming to a stoplight, and I let the
engine drop to idle and put o the brakes,you can SEE the headlights dim
when I do so. Then if I also turn on my turn signal, the voltmeter dances
all over the place, well below 12 (down to about 10 at times). Also, I
have two amps in my stereo system - a 300W and a 200W Max (not really big
amps), and when I'm listening to music with a fair amount of bass, the
headlights will dim and undim to the beat of the music. I have a 65amp
alternator that seems to test out fine (at NAPA). This can't be just a
fusebox thing because the amps are, of course, connected directly to the
battery, and as I said, so are the guages - no fusebox in between. Could
this be my voltage regulator?
	If the engine is above idle, then the voltage will recover after the
initial drop, almost back up to where it was.
	This all started yesterday shortly after the car died randomly. (I
noticed it as soon as it was night and I turned the lights on - I wasn't
watching the voltmeter before then). The fuel pump was still running, so
I got out to test the spark. I wiggled a bunch of stuff, took out a spark
plug and put it back in, and then the car started right up and ran fine.
I figured something came loose because we were going over washboard at
the time, and my car doesn't exactly ride nicely, but now I wonder if it
had something to do with all of this.
	As a side note, I now have XtraVisions in the GTI, and I recommend them
highly. I can actually see at night now. Now I guess I'll relay them and
we'll see how much difference that makes.
	Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. (THIS is why I want to
ditch this car and start over with a car that someone cared about and do
everthing RIGHT. This car has been so messed- with over the years that
there is no point in trying to get it back to the way it's supposed to
be. Everything rattles, everything is broken, but hey, it's still a blast
to drive).
	Also, I noticed the other day when I was looking through a JC Whitney
catalogue that their exhaust system part #'s for the Scirocco I and the
Rabbit GTI are the same. Does that mean that I can fabricate an exhaust
for the Rabbit and then, when I get a Scirocco I, switch it over? That
would be cool.
	Thanks much,
	Josiah
	'84 GTI