Re: [Tech: Engine cuts out - Epasode II]

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 4:00 AM, Volkswagen Scirocco
<mailto:my_scirocco@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Check:
>  1-Fuel Filter
>    a-Look for rust
>      i-If rusty buy new fuel system...
>    b-replace anyway
>      (where is this thing? I looked quickly
>       and didn't see anything like a filter)

Fuel filter is on the driver side about halfway back the engine bay next to
the airbox. A grey canister with a fuel line going in one side and another
coming out the other side. Easy to replace, but make sure you haven't
turned the car on (I don't mean started, just on) or you'll get gas all
over everything.

>  2-Fuel Pump Relay
>    a-What does this thing look like?
>      (sorry my bentlys visiting my brother
>       while he works on his Scirocco)

Above the fuses, mine is second row (of relays) from the bottom, second
position from the left. If you take it out and look at the contacts, it
should have the number 87 (I think) on one of them, and one marked 15, if I
remember correctly- oh yeah, and your car won't start :). I would check
this first, they are notorious for crapping out.

>  3-Fuel Pump
>      (I'm almost afraid to ask but, is it
>       a mechanical pump or electric...
>       and is it easy to get at?)

Electric. Back by the rear passenger side wheel, by the fuel tank. Kind of
a pain to get out.

HTH!

scott

'86 Scirocco 8v