Re: used parts/bad mpg

I'm not sure which year you have, but sounds like an early MkII with
Bosch K-Jetronix.   This may sound weird, but a similar problem
plaqued my son's '84 Scirocco Wolfsburg.  The mechanic could find
it after we diagnosed the usual stuff.  The symptoms were an uneven
idle, mileage near 20 mpg, and an overrich smell in the exhaust...
otherwise it worked fine.

The solution was a new ground cable from the engine to the chassis!

After careful observation over a couple of weeks we noticed (we used
to carpool to work) that the problem with the idle was related to a
low voltage reading.  In the morning when it was cool the alternator
would charge fine, but in the afternoon when the A/C was on and the
engine was hot the voltage would drop to about 10 volts when the
idle became unstable.  The low voltage was due to excessive voltage
drop in the cables from the engine/alternator case to the
chassis/battery.
We were loosing about a volt, which caused the alternator to think that
it had charged the battery and to drop off current.  The extra current
for the A/C then drained the battery down.

When the system hit about 10 volts the cycling on the O2 sensor
would saturate to the rich side...voila!  the culprit.

So, morale of the story, check the voltage on your engine
control module for anything less than about 11 volts.

Mark