Re: VACUUM HOSE?

>Hello
>
>While cleaning up my scirocco I noticed a vacuum hose has broken.  This
>hose is white, has an outer diameter of maybe 1/8 th of an inch. It is
>connected to the rubber intake hose.  with a 90 degree black rubber
>fitting.  The white hose comes out of the fitting and snakes down in
>between the battery and the radiator.  Car runs ok without it but I am
>wondering what it is for.  It seems to attach to the horn?  No reference
>in my manuals.  Thanks.
>
>Yom

I know the exact one.  I actually received 'points-off' for not having
it connected properly while I was in a car show.  Anyway, it is supposed
to be connected to an air valve.  The valve 'chooses' outside air
intake for the airbox, or air from the heater hose which runs back
to the exhaust manifold.  At the least you should cap it off to cut
down on vacuum leaks.  Connect it if you can, I used another vacuum
line and a rubber 'joiner' between the white line and the new one. My
white line melted at some point, probably on the radiator.

==Brett