Idle?

I just got a 'very' used '85 scirocco. The body has 200,000 + miles, and he
said the engine has 100,000. I believe it's a JH motor. I have a problem
with the idle. When you start the car it idles at around 1700 rpm's, then
after a minute it drops to 500 rpm's, and will sometimes stall. About a
minute after it drops to 500 rpm's it jumps back up to maybe 1500 rpm's, and
slowly goes down to about 1200 rpm's and kind of stays there. It will idle
at 1200 but about once a second it will change to 1000 or 1300 rpm's (it
jumps back and forth), I would really like to get the idle perfectly smooth.
I have no idea about the cars history. Could this be attributed to the ox
sensor, or is that too much of an idle difference? Thanks for your info.
-Rob