replacing cam--tips

Anyone got any special 'tips'/words of wisdom about replacing your cam.  I expect to get my G-grind in soon and want to slap it in this weekend along w/ my 4-2 exhaust manifold, TT downpipe and TT 2" exhaust.   The old 8v should be a lot funner to drive after that.

BUT, seeing that I have never replaced the cam before, I am wondering if there is anything special I should know about.  I read the process in the Haynes manual (I know, I know, the Bentley is in the mail) and it seems pretty straight forward.  The manual recommends using engine lube on the new cam lobes and the new valve shims, but is it ok to just use regular engine oil?  Do I need/should I use gasket sealant for the  intake or exhaust or throttle body gaskets, or is the heat (in the case of the exhaust
manifold) gonna do weird shit to the gasket sealant?  Oh yeah, I plan on port matching the intake manifold to the Audi 5k T-body w/ a dremel tool by port matching the manifold to the Scirocco 16v T-body gasket.  Any special tips on that procedure??

Any special tools needed for the above mods?  I have the mandatory socket wrench set, wrenches, torque wrench, gallons of liquid wrench, extra knuckle skin, neophyte enthusiasm.....

Never done this before so I am looking forward to it...even though I've heard the exhaust manifold can be a PITA!

TIA

Victor