RE: a strange noise.

When one of my front wheel bearings went bad, it caused my whole car to
vibrate. Not so noticable feelings-wise, but all of the interior panels
would rattle like crazy, and after a week of ???, a deafening noise
developed that would fill the cockpit at any speed above 45 mph.
 But you might not be experiencing this. You say that it is only present
when the car is in gear. Did you test it? I.E. did you take it out of
gear while on the highway, and did the noise disappear? If so, then it
is NOT the wheel bearings.
   Do some testing, to narrow down where it's from. Take notice of the
conditions that make the noise, then isolate each of those conditions.
(i.e. For me, there was a loud-ass noise when going above 45 mph. The
conditions were: my engine would be revving at about 3-4K, the car was
in gear, and the wheels were turning. To isolate the engine, I just
revved it while at a stop- no noise. To isolate the drive-train, I
pressed the clutch in while going on the highway- noise still there.
This pointed towards the wheels/drivetrain. To finalize the trackdown,
the noise would disappear when I took this -35 mph- left turn while
going 55. This took the load off of the left front wheel, indicating a
bad bearing)
  Hope you hunt the problem down.

sorry for the long post

Jonas
85 Scirocco

PS. I bought the wheel bearing puller from SP tools (through TT). I would
be willing to help someone replace their bearings with it. I live in the
SF bay area, and I just want pizza, beer & conversation in exchange :-)