Rolling Dyno Results

Hey guys,

For those of you that don't know - I got a chance today to take my
car on a rolling dyno to measure the power at the wheels and (through
several calculations) the power at the flywheel.  What fun!  there
was about 7 of us - everything from my Scirocco to the Mad Bastard's
16 valve Jetta.  But I won't spoil Jason's good news ...

After we positioned my front wheels on the "treadmill" and strapped
the car down, we did two "baseline runs" to established the net power
at my front wheels.  Now, realise that this figure includes the power
loss in the drivetrain ... anyways, my car is putting down 92.7
horsepower at the wheels at about 5350 RPM.  Torque peaked at 96.4
foot pounds at 4800 RPM.  All figures are corrected using SAE
specifications.

Then, we did a "power down" test, which measures the resistance in
the drivetrain.  The car is brought up to redline in 3rd gear, and
(while it is still in gear) the gas pedal is released and it
eventually slows to an idle.  This test is then repeated, with the
clutch pushed in (thus, it is just the inertia of the drivetrain and
the treadmill left to spin, without any engine brake).  A few
calculations resulted in these net findings ...

... my engine is putting out 124.6 HP at the flywheel.  Needless to
say, I was ecstatic with this figure - since the stock 8v engine is
rated at 90 horsepower.

So there you have it.  A SuperSprint header and catless exhaust, a
Crane 290/448 cam, and a K&N filter was good for 34.6 HP at the
flywheel.

I will be scanning the graphs and figures and adding them to my web
page within the next few days.  Stay tuned.

Cheers,
-- Michael Helms

'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper
'86 Scirocco - the daily driver

Web Site:  http://www.continuum.org/helms

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, you
can better serve your country by living somewhere else."  - Dr.
Stompin' Tom Connors