Re: TECH- Manifold Bolts?

A1SCIROCCO@aol.com wrote:

> Next weekend im going to put a P&P intake manifold and a header on.  Question
> is what is the best thing i can put on the bolts to loosen them up some?
>         Liquid Wrench?  Im going to replace my passenger side motor mount too how
> difficult is this?
>
> Matt
> 84 8v

Spray some liquid wrench on them days and days ahead of time. And some
more days later. It will penetrate over time more than just puting it on
15 mins. prior to wrenching. WD-40 is a lubricant and wont perform the
same.

The engine will need to be suppoerted while you pull the mount out. the
passenger side is the worse of the lot, mostly because of the close
quarter, the use of hex socket fastners ( 6 or 8mm, depends ) and
because, depending on the model, the timing belt cover is in the way.

On the '84 GTI 1.8 liter engine I pulled the other week I ended up
wipping out the hacksaw and cut off a portion of the pastic shroud, the
gained access to the remaining bolts on the motor mount. I'm putting the
old upper tin portion back on as soon as I paint it a bit.

When it came time to replace the mount ( with new rubber prepressed in
by the Potterdude ) I replaced the hex socket bolt with and eqivelent
hex head bolt.

Manifold bolts get nasty if the have been in along time. Spray, spray,
spray. AS it gets hot and cold it will work more of the liquid wrench
deeper inside.

The intake are a pain but not too bad, try to get it out of the way
before takeling the exhaust, keep the wrench inline with the bolt as you
unscrew to help prevent snapping one off.

hth,
TBerk