what we don't like on our Sciroccos

Dirk has asked a great question.
We are the best people to answer this in the world.
As an industrial designer I understand the cost trade off  and compromises
that a product designer must make. The Scirocco was designed to be
cost effective and have several common parts and only because of this
the product could be offered. A stock Scirocco never looked that aggressive
me. I prefer the lowered look and wider tiers on all Sciroccos. The lower
front
stress bar should have been offered on both the MK1 and  MK2. The door
handle
is a poor lock out for the local screwdriver. All the US cars have extra
heavy bumpers
and under powered motors. The  electrical systems need improvement
including better
grounding and connectors.

MK1
1974-1977 Body rust.
The wood grain dash and brown interior.
The non "S" seats are not that good.
All the seats do not adjust to provide enough head room for people over six
foot. (The roof is not too low)
The stock shift knob has sharp edges on it.
The headlight switch is up side down.
The roll up window regulators break often.
The AM speaker hole in the dash are not needed and cause the dash to
blister.
The dash design is utilitarian.
The vents have poor air flow on the early cars.
The mono wiper looks cool but the blade is too small.
The front grill is difficult to clean and disassemble to repair the
headlights (not all that bad ).
Sway bars should have been stock.
The back seat leg room is poor. (I like this feature and understand that
the seats are for lowering insurance cost)

MK2
The overhang on the front end is excessive.
The stock shifter is strange.
The mono wiper looks cool but the stereo wiper works better.
The clear coat on the silver cars is poor.
The roll up window regulators break often due to the glass design and the
window track.
The hatch is heavy.
The glove box is often hit by passengers and damaged.
IMHO No Scirocco should have a sunroof, power windows or power door locks.

I could go on and on but most of the bad things can be fixed.
This is one thing I love about the car, It is a project that the
driver gets involved in.

Doug
81 Scirocco "S"
87 16v Scirocco "GTX"

Message text written by "Dirk Schneider"
>Hello list,

well, we discussed why we love Sciroccos
and what we love on them.

but what are the things you don't like on it,
things that German engineers forgot or made wrong,
things that would have made the Rocco even better..

just my ideas :

- rust prevention on the Mk1
- quality of lights on Mk1 and Mk2
- high "Ladekante" (dont now your word maybe "loading border")
- low quality of dashboard esp. on Mk1
- input & output are on the same side of the engine (8V)
- delicate carbs (  especially 2B2 on Mk1 and 2E2 on Mk2 )
- low quality of doorlocks
- low quality of seats on the Mk1
- Radio placed too low in the Mk2 ( while adjusting you have to look down)
- same with oil-temp
- windshield-wiper speed

and what are your ideas for the perfect Scirocco ?

curiously
Dirk

<