Re: Leaded Gas (non-scirocco)

At 09:49 PM 1/14/99 -0800, Sal Guzzo wrote:
>Sorry guys for the totally non-scirocco post, but this was eludes my dad
>and I.  I own a 67 Peugeot 404 which is obviously carbed.  However, the
>owner's manuel and the gas tank cap say that I must use only Supreme Leaded
>Gas.  Not unleaded, but leaded.  I have been running unleaded gas and
>occasionally add lead which I purchase from my local store.  Is it okay to
>use unleaded gas in this car or should I add lead every time I fill.
>
>Just to keep this semi-scirocco related, I use unleaded gas in my Scirocco
>and it's being stored for the winter.  There, my scirocco content for the
day.

>Sal

Context: I used to own a Karmann Ghia ( RIP both Mr. and car ) It required
leaded gas. The reason it was ness. was not the octane but because of the
valve materials needed the lubrication. Leaded substitute was run thru
every few tankfulls to provide fro the use of unleaded gas.

I was told later by a reputable mech. that the amount of wear would take
many years until it was noticable. ( Unverified, the car is toast, long
ago.) In addition, I was informed that new valve guides could be pressed in
that would eliminated the problem altogether.

How this relates to your paticular issue is not exact, but I hth,
TBerk