From: Chris Coracini <Coracin@usdl.com>
To: "'scirocco-l@scirocco.org'"
<scirocco-l@scirocco.org>,"'Jason'",<jason@scirocco.org>
Subject: RE: [16v] Mini-Slip Diff. Worthless?
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:42:57 -0500

>So, now the question... what's this shit about
>VW's "mini-slip" differential?  I can see that when they said "Mini",
they
>meant "Teensy". :)

i have one too.  the stock little-slip diff is just a 3% to 5% lock.  it
wasn't meant to be a limited slip diff.  i forgot what it's original
design purpose was. something about vibration when turning or torque
steer or neither one....  when i first got my 2H, i could not turn one
wheel with the other on the ground, and it would be very hard to turn
with the lug wrench.  now, however, i can turn it with both hands,
although i still feel some resistance.  velocity has a stage 1 and stage
2 kit for the little-slip that has 40% lock (more?  60%? not sure of
stage 1) and 80% lock (stage 2).  but a stock little-slip is not really
worth anything.

>	On that note, how are all of your cars faring in this wonderful
winter
>weather?

my heater works great on those frigid 55 degree mornings...  brrrrrrr...
  o-}>

chris
86 16V scirocco