Timing Tensioner [WAS RE: Neuspeed Race Springs..]

> FYI for everybody w/ a 16V, check your timing belt tensioner.  I
> broke mine
> and bent 8 valves.
>
> Aaron..
> '90 Corrado for sale
> '98 Scirocco - everything's new in it so shouldn't it be a 98? =)

I've heard that it's a good idea to replace the tensioner with the belt, and
both my 16v's had this done with the belt. My question is: didn't the R&T
and C&D articles I read on the 16v say that VW had engineered the 16v so
that it would survive a blown timing belt? I thought they were
low-tolerance, but then I read this...and now your story is evidence that
they are low-tolerance.

What gives? Did VW lie to the auto mags?

Neal