Battery woes

I had to replace my battery (again) the other day.  I just did it in August.
I then (in Aug) hooked up my volt meter and it read about 12.5 - 13 volts; I
know this is crappy.  I found a key hot outlet on the fuse box, but it wasn't
the one that is identified in the Bentley for 87 16v's, (the volt meter hook
up location thread that went around) so I thought it was reading that because
of where I had it hooked up.  After I installed this battery, I hooked up the
volt meter like I had before and it read 13.8 volts.  So I figured I had a bad
battery.  Now, however, it's reading low again.  What gives?  Is it the
voltage regulator?  Or do I have a 'leak' somewhere?  Any other helpful
insight would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Stew