Re: Scirocco question

>I just bought a 84 scirocco. Everything seems to be ok, ive replaced
>everything ive seen that needed to be fixed ie. brakes, exhaust system,
>struts, windshield, battery, ignition switch,cv boots, rack boots,
valve
>gasket, changed all the filters and gave her a oil change . It has
140,000k on
>it  (this is a broad question)  Is there anything in particular as far
as the
>engine goes that I should worry about before getting it inspected. Any
info at
>all is greatly appreciated, Ken

I always like to look at the camshaft and see what color it is. Things
are good if it is a clean silver grey. A bad sign is a kind of black or
dark brown color, which is oxidized oil. You see this and your engine is
quickly approaching death. The good thing is you can clean it off with
carburator cleaner, taking care not to let too much of that stuff into
the oil drain holes. This is easier to check on 84s than on 85 on up
because of the plastic splash guards installed by VW after 84.

JSJackson 85 Scirocco