Re: Brake rotor removal

Jorel Jackson wrote:

> Do you need a special tool to remove front rotors? Was looking through a
> Chiltons book, and it said you did. All I've ever done was put on new
> brake pads. Will need new rotors soon, and am thinking about doing it
> myself.
>
> JSJackson '85 Scirocco

Bentley, Bentley, Bentley.  Use the other books, which do have some
value, to augment the 'regular' book.

All I've ever heard was that you liquid wrench the set screw and unscrew
said screw (It likes to get stuck).  The rotor fairly falls off.

Review of my Bentley manual (admittedly the one for the Mk1 models) says
you need to:

Pull the pads 1st.

15 mm wrench on two bolts gets the caliper off, leave hose attached and
hang unit out of the way with a wire to simplify reassembiy.

Remove set screw on disk and pound with _rubber_ mallet if rusted on.

Reinstallation is the reverse. Just leave the mallet out. :)

New disk have a rust inhibitor coating so clean them 1st.

There is a bunch of little things I haven't mention when you are doing
any brake job, like checking the condition of the rubber components and
such, so don't fail to get all the details yourself before crashing and
blaming my advise.

TBerk