RE: Grease shifting Linkage?

> On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:40:31 -0500 "John C. Worden"
> <scirocco@midmaine.com> writes:
>
> >The Bentley manual recommends lubricating the linkage pivot points
> >with some molybdenum disulphide(spelling?) grease.
>

> I have no idea what that is. However I use white lithuim grease on my
> entire shifting system, especially in the sockets/povot points. A little
> dab will do ya. Its water resistant and it stands up well to the heat
> found in the engine bay.

moly grease is the stuff you get with a CV boot kit, you can buy it at most
auto parts stores.  it's dark grey in color.  i dab a tiny bit on the
linkage ends, as per bentley, and have no problems.  another moly product i
like is lubro-moly anti-friction treatment.  it's a molybdenum disulfide
suspension liquid (suspension as in the chemistry term, not the stuff on
your car).  it's in a synthetic oil base, just shake it up and pour it in
every oil change.  turns the oil a greyish/graphite color, looks cool!  it's
the only oil additive i will ever use.  i've used it for the past 4 years on
my 16V and it's as strong as the day i bought it in '92.  damn, i did it
again (rambling...)  sorry.

chris
86 16V scirocco