RE: Timing Belt Tensioners

> I have a 16v and I'm planning on replacing my timing belt soon. I plan
> on putting a new tensioner on also. I have two questions:
>
> Why in the #$@%$ does vw sell the two pin "updated design" tensioner? If
> you ask me they get kick backs from snap on, the old tensioners worked
> just fine if you ask me. Do I have to put up with this new design
> tensioner or can I get one like the old ones?

AFAIK, that's the only one available now.  they did this so you'll be more
inclined to take it in since it needs a special tool (at least that's what i
think, everything's a conspiracy...).  don't sweat it, though, the "special
tool" consists of two nails and a screwdriver.

> How tight should the timing belt be? After following the bentley
> instructions my cam bearings would make noise on my 8v, I had a vw
> mechanic tell me it was way to tight. Finger twist 90 degrees? Damn now
> that's scientific, a wussy 90 degrees? A body builder on steroids 90
> degrees? I have the general idea, I just don't want this belt to have
> problems, and I'd rather get it right the first time, thank you..

not a wussy 90, not a superman 90, but an average joe (like you and me) 90.
but, on the 16V, it's 45, not 90.  i thought it was 90, also, but the
bentley does say 45 for 16V's.  the way i do it is i tighten it until i can
barely turn it 45, start it and see if it's too tight (it'll make noise,
like you said).  if it does, i loosen a tiny bit until the noise goes away.
i haven't had any problems in 7 years..

> P.S. I've done several vw timing belts with zero problems, I've just
> never heard any good answers to these questions..

well, add this one to your list.

chris
86 16V scirocco