Fwd: Re: Fwd: 80-83 exhaust same?

>Mark Peele wrote:
>>
>> >i'm trying to find out if an exhaust from an 83 will fit on a 80
>> >rocco.....i'm pretty sure it will, as they both have the full size
>> spare
>> >tire well...i just want to know for sure
>> >
>> >dave
>>
>> Yes, the exhaust from an '83 will fit a 1980 Scirocco. However, you
will
>> experience a power loss since you will be downgrading from the dual
>> exhaust manifold to a single outlet manifold.
>>
>> However, you could swap out the cat back stuff, depending on which
motor
>> the '83 has. Early 1983 U.S. Sciroccos had the EN motor, late '83
>> Sciroccos came with the JH motor. The exhaust on these two motors is
>> little different [I am looking at my VW Muffler Systems Quick
Reference
>> Catalogue 1979-1989].
>>
>> Dave, give me a call tonight (or today).
>>
>> Mark Peele
>

>OK, Good Stuff.
>
>If we consider that the car will have the stnd. dual down pipe, a cat.,
>and focus on the cat back portion;
>
>Is the determining factor one of full vs mini spare tire compartment
>size and the routing of the pipe in this area, OR is it just a question
>of having extra pipe sticking out he back?
>
>Context in my case is MkII exhausts adapted to an '81 Mk1.
>
>tia, & pls. be patient with me.
>
>TBerk

We now talking cat back.

If it's a space saver tire car (84.5 & up) I'd say it won't fit.

If it's a full size spare, I'd say it will. All the hangars on the Mk1 &
Mk2 (Full size spare) are the same. The tail pipe may be a little longer
- no big deal.

So, if the center pipe bolts up to the cat (three bolt interface) - I'd
say you're good to go. This idea is borne out by the fact that most
catalogs list one cat back system for 1975-1984 Rabbits and Sciroccos.

Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S
1982 Scirocco
1987 Golf GT