Re: road/engine noise suppression

Derek Tarvin wrote:

> Howdy all...
>
> Lately I've notice that whenever I've got a passenger in the car, I seem to
> notice the road noise and Engine noise alot.  When I'm alone I enjoy the
> sound,  or cover it up with music.
>
> Now I don't want to go overboard, but I'd like to cut some of the
> road/engine/exaust noise.  I've noticed there's little or no insulsation
> under the carpet and trim especially in the back hatch area.
>
> Any suggestions on how to go about dampening some of that noise?
>
> Thanks to all!
>
> Derek

Hey D-man, funny you should mention. Just today I noticed that if I move
my head just a bit forward, maybe a foot, it chops off so much noise.
Too bad I can drive like that. :)

After lurking in some of the Car Audio News Groups I learned about stuff
like Dynamat; it's sound deadening material. Can be somewhat pricey, can
be purchased in mats you can tailor fit to your space, and is only one
of many brand names.

Other stuff is a spray on sound deadening material, comes in a can. You
can get it sprayed up into some tight spaces.

Some of the trade off in quieting things down is the potential to
increase the weight you carry around.

I've been thinking some foam rubber, stuffed into some of the bulkheads
would be nice. Thinking it'll cut down on the road noise. Back in the
rear fender area, some up in the doors, up in the dash.

Another thing that can lead to noise is wind and it's whistles. New or
good shape window seals makes for less outside getting inside. I guess
the make of tires would have a lot to do with it as well. And what's up
with the new A4 suspensions- they claim by separating the shock and coil
they can move the upper mount out of the cabin, thus cutting down on
transmitted noise to the interior.

Hey!, I'm rambling. Well, I'll stop now,
TBerk