some questions: brake light, and exhaust tip

Ok, 2 questions
1) I have an 86 8 valve with the rear wing that goes all the way up
the sides of the hatch bla bla, and i have the brake light at the top
of the hatch, here is the problem: i can get into it if i need to
change a light bulb, but what i need to do is get inside it to replace
the red filter.(the red filter fell down is lying inside the little
compartement, and as some may or may not know, it is illegal to
have a non-red brake light) so if anyone knows how to get in there,
i am at aloss.

2) I was thinking of getting a nice shiny exhaust tip, i have a
relatively stock exhaust and such, and i was wondering: does the
tip make any differnces except for appearence? i.e. will it make
anything louder or quieter or anything?(i do Not want a louder
exhasue this is why i ask.)

thanks in advance!
Rob Luhrs