Re: 87 Scirocco (grounding)

Dave-
Regarding grounding, I'm posting this response to the list in case anyone
else has advice.
Your stock ground wire leads from your battery neg down and under around the
battery tray area.  Can't miss it.  THick wire connects to the body.
...This is what I did after much reading on the list.  Some say it's over
doing it.  However, my car starts right up.
Easiest way..Go to the auto store (Straus, Pep Boys, etc)
go to the section that has battery cables.  This is what you want.
You want 4 gauge wire that has the ends on both ends that looks like a hole.
So you can stick a bolt and nut thru it.  Not the ones that have terminals
on them.  They are about $4 each.

They have different lengths so pre-measure with a mesruing tape.
Before I start, 16V jason grouned his car just by adding only ONE wire. Wire
number 1, listed below.  Cured his cold start prob.  Right Jason?
Here goes:
1-Battery neg to the bolt that holds the coil in place
2-Battery neg to the alternator (there should be a bolt diagnolly across
from the positive that's available)
3-Battery neg to the bolt that holds the battery in place
4- Alternator case to the bolt on the strut tower.
5- Alternator case to the back of the engine.  (any of those bolts back
there is okay.  You'll know your in the right area b/c there is a thin flat
wire going from the coil bolt to the engine bolt.  Also other grounds.  Be
sure to clean all these contacts.)
6- the other bolt on the strut  tower to the back of the engine as well.
7- Batt Neg to the back of the engine.

I have lots of wires.  But, let me tell you.  I am grounded!