Running speaker wires to the rear

I have a question for the masses.  In my old 78 I ran the speaker
wires along the passenger side carpet to the rear deck, and got a
bunch of engine feedback.

I finally got a radio for the '84.  I am installing it tonight.
Where have you guys run your wires so that you don't get feedback
from the engine rpms?

BTW, the radio is a $100 Pioneer, unlike the $39.99 Optimus radios I
usually buy.  After having a good system stolen as a teenager, I
learned to keep crappy systems in my cars. Besides, those big systems
shake the car apart, and they interfer with that wonderful sound the
tires make in the corners..........

Ken Buck
1999 Philadelphia Region SCCA RE
78 DSP VW Scirocco- regional champ 94, 95, 97, 98
85 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car
"1997 Rookie of the Year" Linda's Speedway(retired in 1998, but back in 99!!)
80 Scirocco-S, 1.8L (FS-$1,750) needs paint
84 Scirocco (needs a radio)