Hesitation (somewhat long)

Ok, time to ask the list...

I recently acquired an '81 Scirocco out of Colorado, thanks to John Van
Vuren.  Now, according to John, the car ran perfectly in Colorado.  When
I picked up the car at his place in Wisconsin, it didn't.  The car would
not idle, nor would it run smoothly under anything but full throttle.
Needless to say, it was a long trip home Sunday.

After some thought, I figured that the mixture had to be off.  (John
also mentioned that the timing had been adjusted)  I replaced the fuel
distributor with one from a later Scirocco instead of adjusting the
mixture screw on the original.  (Besides, I wanted that 80mm airflow
sensor plate!)  The car would then at least idle, but still hesitate
under load.  I readjusted the timing bit by bit until the hesitaion
under load went away.  This was last night with the car fully warmed up.

I drove the car to work this morning, and found the same hesitation
problem was with me again.  What the hell?  Could this now only be a
cold running problem?  (The car is not quite up to temperature when I
arrive at work, only about 5 miles)  I'm beginning to get a little
frustrated at this point.  Any suggestions?  How do I *properly* adjust
the timing since I don't have a timing light?  Could this still be my
problem?

Any suggestions appreciated!  (BTW, I'm on digest - direct replies
helpful!)

Thanx!

Daun