Re: Peculiar starting problem--I experience the same thing.

Alls I can say is, me too!  I experience the same thing, to the tee, and I have an 84 8v.

I read in a manual that difficulty in starting the car when warm can be a failing starter, but I don't think this is the case w/ my car b/c I replaced the starter last year, due to this same problem.  Granted, a year ago, the car was A LOT harder to start when warm.  Now all I have to do is crank it a few times and give it a little shot of gas if the engine is warm.  When the engine is bone cold, it fires up right away on the first crank.

Victor

>>> Michael Helms <tudor@tvo.org> 02/17 2:36 PM >>>
Hi guys and gals,

Small problem with my '86 that has me stumped.

If the car is stone cold (ie. it has been sitting all night), the car
starts right up on the first kick.  But, if the engine is warm, it
gets tougher and tougher to start.  Now, if the engine is hot and you
shut it off for a minute, it's fine to re-start ... but if you leave
it for 10 or 20 minutes, you have to turn it over much more to get it
going again.

It's almost as if the engine should be getting an extra shot of fuel
that it isn't when it's warm.  What could be wrong?

Thanks,
-- Michael Helms

'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper
'86 Scirocco - the daily driver

Web Site:  http://www.continuum.org/helms

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, you
can better serve your country by living somewhere else."  - Dr.
Stompin' Tom Connors